The Elms Family Medical Centre – Services
As a family general practice, The Elms offers a comprehensive range of medical and health services through our doctors, nurses and visiting providers, including:
- Diagnosis and management of general medical conditions
- Routine health checks
- Screening tests and preventative medicine
- Women’s, men’s and children’s health
- Workcover, Transport Accident Commission and Centrelink assistance
- Chronic disease management
- Infant and childhood immunisations
- Skin and mole checks
- Family planning and pregnancy related care
- Routine wound care and post-operative reviews
- Pre-employment medical examinations
- Minor surgery including mole removal, vasectomy and contraceptive implants
- Diabetes management
- Mental health care and counselling
- Traveller’s advice, immunisations and medications
- Tele-health consultations with participating Melbourne specialists
Yellow Fever Vaccination
The Elms is a Government registered provider of Yellow Fever vaccination for travellers to affected areas such as tropical Africa, and parts of Central and South America. For entry to countries where Yellow Fever occurs, it is mandatory for travellers to hold a valid International Certificate of Vaccination or Prophylaxis (ICVP). Only Government registered medical centres can administer the Yellow Fever vaccine and provide an official certificate of vaccination.
Patients can make an appointment through reception, and should specify that it is for Yellow Fever vaccination. On the day of the appointment with the doctor and nurse, the patient must bring their passport so that the official certificate can be issued. As of 16 June 2016, The International Certificate of Vaccination or Prophylaxis is valid for life, starting from ten days after the date of injection.
The provision of Yellow Fever vaccination is not covered by Medicare and full payment is required on the day of the injection. For information about the cost of the Yellow Fever vaccination, please click here.
We have a well-equipped surgical procedure room as well as a separate three-bay treatment room which can be used for performing procedures such as:
- Wound suturing and dressing.
- Skin lesion removal.
- Hormone implant insertion and removal.
- Suture and surgical staple removal.
- Plaster cast application and removal.
- Therapeutic venesection.
- Lung function testing (spirometry).
- Intra-uterine contraceptive device insertion and removal.
- The Practice Nurse is available every weekday from 8.30am to 5.00pm.
Immunisations, wound dressings and suture removal with our nurse can be booked directly through our reception. Arrangements for most other procedures need to be made in conjunction with your doctor.
Please speak with our staff or your doctor if you have any queries about applicable fees for use of the treatment room.
Pathology Collection Service – General pathology collection is available every weekday plus Saturday mornings, excluding public holidays.
Ultrasound Services – Specialist pregnancy and women’s ultrasound is available on Monday, excluding public holidays. Specialist heart ultrasound (echocardiography) is available monthly on Saturday morning, excluding public holidays.
Podiatry Service – Advanced foot and nail care is available on Monday, Tuesday and alternate Thursdays, excluding public holidays.
Physiotherapy Service – A comprehensive physiotherapy service is available on Tuesday afternoon, excluding public holidays.
Psychology – We have several psychologists consulting at The Elms, with current availability on Monday, Wednesday, and Thursday, excluding public holidays.
Dietitian – Once a fortnight on Friday afternoon, excluding public holidays, we have a dietetic clinic for nutritional advice and management.